Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Children of Polygyny

Polygyny, though generally recognized as a man with multiple wives, is more accurately described as a plural family and not just plural marriage. Generally many children are raised in this culture and I think that their presence tends to be over looked. When I originally stated my opinions on polygyny, from a completely uneducated subjective point of view, I was quick to identify negative aspects of this culture when concerning children. I thought that meaningful loving relationships would be difficult to form in these large families, and that children - especially young girls - were not treated properly, but I am now interested in looking at the possible positive aspects of raising a child in this culture as well as being a child of polygyny.

I have heard media accounts of twelve year old girls marrying sixty year old men and wide spread abuse in Mormon fundamentalist groups, but I can’t believe that this is all true. I am not denying that in some instances these horrible practices do occur, but they also take place in mainstream monogamist American culture. I have thought of positive qualities of polygenic families and some of these benefits can’t be found in a monogamist family, at least not in the same respect.

Children of modern polygyny are provided with a large diverse support system consisting of many female and male role models. This system also provides support for the parents in terms of emotional as well as financial assistance. Typical large family size requires additional help from children, but it also allows children to work together and care for one another. I think that children that grow up in polygyny are raised with a strong sense of culture and intense faith and religious beliefs important to this culture. This intern provides them with a strong sense of self and purpose.

I am not denying that there aren’t negative aspects to raising a child in a polygenic family; I am simply stating that it is much too easy to say that monogamy is right and polygyny is wrong and paint the issue black and white. There are plenty of familial problems that can be found in monogamist families. Just because I am unfamiliar with this type of child hood does not automatically make it immoral. I would be extremely interested in learning more about childhood in polygenic culture, so far my thoughts have been prompted from research books and articles; I have no knowledge of the personally experience.

No comments: