Sunday, September 21, 2008

My Initial (Uneducated) Opinions

I have already stated some of my opinions on polygyny, but I feel as though I should explain and support these beliefs. If I am to arrive at a place of understanding I think that I should express my initial state of mind. I am discussing polygyny at this time with no formal knowledge of the culture. I don’t know the history or facts of polygyny, I don’t know the components or the dynamics of this culture, but I do know how I feel and my personal opinions.

Personally I could never participate in a plural marriage. I believe that marriage is the union between two people and this relationship is special and should be honored. I don’t think that the commitment that is formed between two people who decide to spend their lives together can be shared between more and still be as close or committed. I believe in monogamy, that people should be faithful to each other and polygyny is a form of infidelity in my mind. Personally I could not handle the emotional stress of being in a plural marriage.

I grew up in a family with one mother and one father. My dad worked and my mom stayed home when we were young. My parents are still married today; I guess I grew up in a stereotypically “happy family”, and I loved it. My parents were very involved, heading PTO’s and coaching my teams. I would think that children that grow up in polygenic culture would not have as close a relationship with their parents, especially their fathers, sense there are so many children. This lack of parental involvement I think would have a negative affect on children.

These are just some of my personally opinions opposing polygyny. From here I plan to look at the merits of polygyny and explore how this culture works. I hope to learn what people that practice polygyny must know and do in order to make this culture work.

No comments: