Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Merits of Polygyny: An Introduction

With this blog I hope to explore the possible merits of polygyny. This statement may be misleading because it implies that all subsequent entries will discus the virtues of polygyny. On the contrary this opening statement refers to the sought after goal of my blog. While writing today no clear, realistic merits of polygyny easily come to mind. This does not mean that I am vehemently against this cultural practice. I like to think that I am a fairly understanding, accepting person, but I can’t currently arrive upon a solitary positive component of polygyny, from my personal perspective.

I am planning to specifically explore the culture of polygyny in the United States as practiced by groups within the Mormon religion. I am writing from my perspective, that of a young woman with strong, defined opinions. I want to start with my own personal views and opinions, which will be completely subjective, before I begin to research and understand this culture. I would like to have a sound knowledge of its history and different components as a foundation to build on. From there I hope to have more knowledge of polygyny and hopefully will be able to discuss how my original views have been affected. Throughout this I would also like to incorporate information from people who have first hand experience of polygyny.

I hope to reach a point in this study where I can honestly state that I understand polygyny not just from the position of a tolerant individual viewing from afar, but as someone who has truly explored this culture. I think as I discover more about this culture I will question my own beliefs and why they are the way they are. While I may never completely agree with nor partake in this practice, I hope to be able to appreciate polygyny as a culture and understand and appreciate its inherent logic.

No comments: